Did you know that TOEFL is an internet-based test( IBT)? Based on a scale of 0 to 120 points? With each of the sections scaled to 0 to 30?
Test of English as a foreign language popularly known as TOEFL started 58 years ago. A simple calculation to find out which year was that would give us the answer; 1964.
Those applying to English-speaking universities and are non-native speakers would have to test their English language ability via TOEFL.
The number of those that take the TOEFL test annually is 2.3 million with more than 4000 centers in more than 180 countries.
In this article, you’ll get to learn more about the TOEFL test.
Is TOEFL hard?
According to magoosh academy (inarguably the best online academy for TOEFL), TOEFL is not so easy. It doesn’t matter who is asking because it’s the same for everybody!
It’s hard because it depends on who you are, your experience, what type of difficulty, and what your need for language is!
An example is stated that someone from an European country who speaks a Latin-based language like Spanish, will have lots of academic vocabulary as an advantage.
It’s an academic test mostly related to Latin. These languages tend to have lots of Latin-based words similar to academic Latin-based words in English.
They’re much easier to figure out even though they’re not normal conversational words and you don’t hear them in English.
When you see them on the TOEFL, it’s relatively easier than when you see a word like acresión coming from a language like Korean or Hindi, and you don’t know what acresión means with no common root.
If you speak Spanish, you might have a common root which makes it a little bit easier.
Reading the news from real native English-speaking sources, TOEFL won’t be difficult because news usually has more idiomatic expressions.
While TOEFL just has an academic style.
How to register for the TOEFL IBT test
Registering for the TOEFL IBT test is just like creating a new google account!
Just as you have to sign in to your google account to be able to access Play Store on your phone, that’s the exact way you have to first have an ETS account.
The steps are as follows;
- Click on register after you sign up.
- Click on TOEFL IBT at a test center, Home edition, or paper edition.
- The options of both the Home and Paper edition would be displayed if available in your country specified in your account.
- For testing at a test center, enter your preferred location and choose the 2-month period in which you’ll want to take the test.
- You’re free to pick any date showing available seats.
- Pick a location and click on show test time and register for that location as soon as you find a time that suits you!
- Confirm your email address for the Home Edition.
- Continue after you’ve picked the 2-months when you’ll take the test.
- Confirm your time zone to select your test appointment.
- From the calendar, pick an available test date and time for your test and click on Register for this test.
- The next page shows you the information you need to know before completing your registration.
- Review it and click on Next.
- Kindly follow the provided guidelines carefully.
How to take the TOEFL test in Malaysia?
In Malaysia, the TOEFL test is performed twice a month. You’re expected to register 14 days before the date of the test because of the increased number of applicants.
For the comfort of the applicants, there are up to five TOEFL test areas in Malaysia where TOEFL can be taken. You’re advised to visit any nearest to you in Malaysia as the areas are the same in disposition.
The five areas include;
- Subang Jaya.
- Petaling Jaya.
- Kuala Lumpur.
- Kota Kinabalu.
- Johor Bahru.
The Kuala Lumpur center for the TOEFL test is currently available.
It costs 817.22 ringgit to take the TOEFL test in Malaysia.
Kindly pay using your credit or debit card.
Once the payment is successful, make sure to create an account on the ETS website unfailingly so you can access your information.
What to expect at the test center?
At the test area, you’ll be expected to do the following:
- Submit your ID Card at the reception area and store your items.
- On examination by the TCA( Test center Administrator), your ID Card would be verified by the TCT.
- A regular security inspection would be performed to ascertain that you do not possess any prohibited items.
- Your photo would be taken and your voice note recorded.
- Confidentiality and rules agreement would be offered to you to read and sign.
- The rules and protocols would be reviewed by the TCA. During this time, you can ask any questions if you have any.
- Writing items would be offered to you for jotting— You can request more if you need them during the test.
- There are 4 sections namely; Reading Listening. Speaking; and, Writing.
- A 10-minute break would be observed after the 1st two sections.
- During the speaking section, kindly position the microphone like it was during the microphone test.
- On your screen, your details and photo would be displayed.
- You’ll be asked to do a microphone check. Kindly put on your headset and begin your test immediately.
- Follow the guidelines displayed on your screen for smooth performance.
- A time is displayed on your screen, if it seems distracting, kindly hide it by clicking on the icon.
- Your reading and writing sections are scored immediately!
- Take everything back with you to the reception area and get your stored items.
NOTE: You can report or cancel your score, and canceling your score would mean no score report and no refund!
Finally, the TOEFL test is not so hard, but that doesn’t mean it is easy! You’ll have to find it out for yourself.
How comfortable are you with the TOEFL? Find that out via the TOEFL official website and papers.
You can check the article below for preparation steps: IELTs preparation steps