Investing $1,200,000 CAD in Canada can lead to obtaining Canadian citizenship in Quebec quite easily. This option, however, is specifically designed for those who are moving to Canada on a permanent basis. It’s important to note that there are alternative pathways to Canadian citizenship that don’t involve investment.
When it comes to Canadian citizenship, there are a few important things to know. Firstly, it can’t be acquired from a distance; applicants must have lived in the country for a continuous period of 3 years and integrated into the local community. They should also demonstrate fluency in one of Canada’s official languages. Only then can they start the application process for Canadian citizenship.
While there are other investment options with more favorable conditions, we also thoroughly assess the requirements of applicants.
Apply For A Canadian Citizenship By Investment
The process of obtaining Canadian citizenship through investment takes a minimum of 3-5 years and involves several stages.
Applicants need to submit all required documents to the government of Quebec. These documents should confirm their entrepreneurial or managerial abilities, show proof of the necessary investment amount, and demonstrate compliance with other requirements. These documents are then reviewed by the Comparative Registration and Evaluation Office in Montreal. If the investor meets all the criteria and falls within the allotted quota, they’ll receive a special certificate and a temporary residence permit.
To meet the investment conditions, applicants must transfer the specified amount as outlined in the program agreement.
Applicants should apply through their local consulate or Canadian embassy. A fee of $15,235 CAD is required during document submission. If all requirements are met, an entry visa will be issued, allowing the applicant to enter Canada for a period of 12 months. During this time, the applicant will also be granted Canadian residency.
Note: If the applicant doesn’t move to Canada within the 12-month period, they will need to resubmit all necessary documents.
Await an official decision. To apply for Canadian citizenship, the applicant must have lived in Canada for at least three years and spent at least 183 days per year in the country. The official decision on granting citizenship through the investment application typically takes about one year.
Once citizenship is approved, the applicant needs to pass a language and history knowledge test related to Quebec and undergo an interview with Quebec migration officials. However, applicants over 54 years of age are exempt from the test.
Other Methods To Obtain Canadian Citizenship
Apart from investing in the Canadian economy, there are several other ways to obtain Canadian citizenship:
- Marriage to a Canadian citizen and residing in Canada for 3 years.
- Birth in Canada, which automatically grants citizenship.
- Having Canadian parents.
- Family reunification if close relatives are Canadian citizens.
- Being a significant cultural or sports contributor.
- Naturalization after residing in Canada for 6 years.
- Graduating from a Canadian university, working in Canada for 3 years, and securing a specialized job with a work visa.
- Special programs for professionals like doctors, nannies, educators, nurses, and agricultural workers in remote northern provinces.
Required Documents for Canadian Citizenship Application
The necessary documents include:
- Completed application form.
- Notarized and translated passports for all family members.
- Proof of family relationships for family applications.
- Marriage and birth certificates.
- Police clearance certificates for all family members.
- Evidence of financial standing.
- Real estate ownership certificates, appraiser results, and bank statements.
- Proof of investment in the Canadian economy.
- Payment receipts for fees.
All documents in foreign languages must be translated into English and notarized.
Benefits of Canadian Citizenship:
Canadian citizenship offers numerous advantages, including:
- Maintaining dual citizenship.
- Visa-free access to over 180 countries, including powerful nations.
- Free access to advanced healthcare systems.
- No taxation on income and inheritance earned outside Canada.
- Favorable tax policies.
- Attractive pensions and benefits.
- Opportunities for businesses targeting the North American market.
- High standard of living, as Canada ranks among the best countries to live in.